Much has been said about manscaping, but one thing is often left on the side notes: dental care for men. Oral care is an integral part of men’s health as much as everybody else’s. It’s crucial for the gents to pay attention to dental care to prevent uncomfortable and expensive problems.
Problems associated with poor dental health
Dental health goes beyond your mouth since it can also affect other body systems. If neglected, it could also increase your risk of the following health conditions:
- Prostate problems. Men who neglect their dental health will have a higher risk of developing prostate problems. It can be an infection or dreaded cancer. A few studies have established a connection between inflamed gums and inflammation on other body parts like the prostate.
- Impotence. Studies showed that men under 30 and over 70 had an increased risk of impotence if they have periodontal disease. This is because extensive gum inflammation will affect your blood vessels.
- Heart disease. The association between poor dental health and heart problems has long been the subject of various research. Since pathogens can enter through infected gums, it’s likely to trigger heart problems in the long run.
There are other health problems tied to poor oral health. Still, these alone are enough reasons for men to take dental care seriously.
Tips for health dental care among men
Healthy teeth and gums will reduce your risk of various health problems. It will also make it easier for you to eat, speak, and smile.
For men, it’s important to adopt healthy dental care habits. The following tips are a good start:
- Visit your dentist. Visiting your dentist twice a year will keep your dental health in check. Your dentist will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth. In addition, it will allow your dentist to treat dental problems while it’s still minor.
- Brush daily. Brushing twice a day can greatly improve your dental health. It will remove plaque, bacteria, and dirt from your mouth to prevent gum disease. Make sure that you use the right brush and toothpaste.
- Quit smoking. Tobacco products ruin not just the color of your teeth but also your gum health. It will also increase your risk of developing cancer.
- Floss. Flossing is very important to remove food bits stuck between your teeth. You should consider bringing flossers in your pocket or suitcase anywhere you go.
- Chew gum. Chewing sugar-free gum will help freshen your breath and remove food stuck on your teeth. It will also help increase your saliva levels, which is crucial in keeping your mouth clean.
- Reduce alcohol intake. Alcoholic drinks are packed with sugars that will allow bacteria to thrive in your mouth. The acidity of this beverage will also break down your tooth’s enamel. Over time, excessive drinking will fuel cavities and periodontal disease.
Establishing healthy dental care habits are crucial not just for men but for everybody as well. This is to prevent other health problems associated with gum disease. Above all, healthy gums and teeth will make you more confident to talk and smile.